Thursday, May 6, 2010

Chicken Taco

Cinco De Mayo
Well I hope everyone had a great Cinco De Mayo. I know I Did. With some Mariachi music, drinking and of course... some bitchen Mexican food. Which brings me to today's/yesterday's (Since I'm a day late) recipe.

Chicken Taco (Pronounced T-A-C-O) - A traditional Mexican dish composed of a corn or wheat tortilla folded or rolled around a filling.


(Serving 2-4)
(Cook Time 15-20 minutes)
1 Large Chicken Breast
2 Flower/corn tortillas per Taco
3 Tbs Olive Oil
1 Yellow Onion (Diced)
1 Green Onion (Diced)
1 Green Serrano Pepper (Diced)
2 Cloves Garlic (Minced)
2 Tbs Lemon Juice
1 Tbs Basil
1 Tbs Chili Powder
1 Tbs Oregano
1 Tsp Cumin
1/4 cup Cilantro

1. In 10" Fry Pan heat 2 Tablespoons olive oil over high heat

2. Fry Chicken Breast 2-3 minutes on each side

3. Remove Chicken from pan with tongs and turn heat to medium low
           - Dice chicken into small bits
           - Its fine if chicken is still pink inside, chicken will be cooked further

4. Place diced Garlic, 1/8th cup Yellow Onion and diced Serrano Pepper into remaining Olive Oil and allow to cook for 1-2 minutes
           - Add Chicken as Garlic and Onion begin to brown

5. Season chicken with Basil, Oregano, Cumin, Green Onion, remaining tablespoon of Olive Oil and Lemon Juice. (Season to desired taste, measurements are just a guideline)
           - Reduce heat to low, cover and let simmer for 5 minutes

6. Heat tortillas over open flame, or in skillet.

7. Serve immediately, serve 2 tortillas per taco (helps hold taco together better)

*Garnish with remaining Yellow Onion, Cilantro, Sour Cream and Salsa

Drink of Choice
Any Mexican Beer
My Choice: Sagres (I know it's not Mexican, its Portuguese, but you know what, its close enough)
Location: Portugal
Website: http://www.sagresbeer.com/

Boy do I love Tacos. Most definitely in the top 10 favorite foods! My love for tacos comes from the famous California Taco truck. I'll do a whole other blog on the Taco truck because I have a lot to say. I've been trying to replicate the sweet savory flavor of the taco truck for a while now and I think I've finally about mastered it. Once again I'd like to say that the measurements for this recipe are pretty much up to the taste of the chef or the consumer. Its best to just experiment with it because basically, they are fun to cook and it's pretty hard to screw up tacos.

I'll be doing some other versions of tacos in future blogs but for now please enjoy my chicken taco recipe and have a safe and happy Cinco De Mayo!

Song Of The Day
Artist: James Taylor
Song: Mexico
Album: Gorilla

No comments:

Post a Comment